1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup olive oil, plus 2 Tablespoons
1 cup hot water
1 6-ounce can tomato paste, plus one can water
1/2 cup red and/or green peppers, chopped
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon hot sauce or to taste (optional)
1 or 2 Bay leaves
Parsley for garnish
1. In a large skillet, sauté peppers, onions, celery and garlic in 2 Tablespoons oil over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl add shrimp, tomatoes (do not drain), lemon juice, Worcestershire, bay leaves, seasoning and zest. Set aside.
3. Add flour and 1/3 cup oil to skillet. Whisk together over medium-low heat until bubbles form and mix slightly browns. Slowly add hot water a little at a time, whisking constantly to form a smooth paste or “roux”. Whisk in tomato paste plus the can of water.
4. Reduce heat and add shrimp mixture. Simmer 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and fully cooked.
5. Remove and discard bay leaves. Add hot sauce as desired. Spoon mixture over rice, garnish with dried parsley.